[Beowulf] Network considerations for new generation cheap beowulfcluster

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue May 22 09:19:54 PDT 2007

A hypercube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercube) also gets you
exponential space; the max hops is the dimension (3 for a 3-dimensional
cube) and the number of nodes is exp(base 2) of the dimension (8 vertices on
a cube). To do a tesseract (4-cube), which looks like two cubes nested,
you'd need 4 ports per node, 16 nodes, 32 cables, max hop 4. I've poked
around and don't see a great 4 ports per node solution; I like the
suggestion of putting a router on a motherboard.

But you've made me curious about this Kautz and de Bruijn graphs, I'll go
look, thanks.
Peter