[Beowulf] Quick question... on Fortran

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 10 14:57:55 PDT 2007

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 04:37:58PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
>> Who knows, in ten years we may see a merge of fortran and c into a
>> "supercompiler" that permits near transparent switching of syntax, or
>> inlining of fortran in c the way assembler can be inlined now.
>
> Existing compilers do inline Fortran into C, it's needed for some of
> the SPEC benchmarks which mix C with Fortran77 numerical routines.
>
> I don't see much point in having both languages in the same source
> file.

Me neither, actually.  Although there might be some point in developing
a new language that smoothly merges the desireable features of both.

(He ducks and runs for cover, just KNOWING that 80 people are about to
announce that C++, python, matlab, pascal, f95, c99, already do...;-)

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu