[Beowulf] Quick question... on Fortran

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu May 10 09:01:34 PDT 2007

I am (as you may well know) extremely fortran averse.  However, a
researcher in our department has recently asked what the current limits
are on the size of an array in modern fortran(s) under linux.  I suppose
he'd like an answer for both 32 and 64 bit systems.  From what I have
been able to google out, it looks like the answer is 2^31 bytes in 32
bit systems and as big as the hardware permits less maybe a GB in 64 bit
systems.  Is this correct?  Any fortran experts out there?  I'd be happy
for answers for more than one compiler, of course -- I'd guess that e.g.
pathscale might have a greater capacity than e.g. gfortran than g77
legacy...

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu