[Beowulf] Re: programming questions here?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue May 8 06:48:40 PDT 2007

On Tue, 8 May 2007, Larry Stewart wrote:

> One student had a solution that was actually fast as well a right.
> If you held up the listing at arms length, you would swear
> it was a FORTRAN program.
>
> From which I conclude that you can write fast programs in
> any language, but they come out looking like FORTRAN.

Hmmm, a sample of one leading to a conclusion?

That would be "unless they are written in APL, in which case they come
out looking like Martian, or are written in C, in which case they come
out look like they were written in the Language of God, or are written
in assembler, in which case they come out looking like they were written
in the lost proto-indo-european script, translated semiphonetically into
english, and then somebody came along and wiped out 2/3 of the letters
more or less at random".

:-)

     rgb