[Beowulf] programming questions here?

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun May 6 16:33:44 PDT 2007

At 08:53 AM 5/6/2007, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>There are many programmers on the list.  Indeed, I'd guess that the
>majority of posters are coders as well as admins, cluster engineers,
>researchers.  If you want to see the coders in action, just post a
>question like "Is C or Pascal a better language for writing parallel
>code."  Just be sure to put on a biohazard suit first.

Actually, if you really want to see a lot of traffic, you need to
post a question like:

"I know that SNOBOL is the best language for parallel programming,
but because distro X has a lame implementation, am I really stuck
using the brain-dead constructs of Ada, or would I be better using
distro Y and APL, and rewriting the compiler for my needs."

{Langauge names changed to avoid stepping on too many landmines}

It's the combination of the absolute assertion of superiority for one
choice and the denigration of multiple other choices that will really
bring out the comments.

As you say, fireproof suit required.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075