[Beowulf] fast file copying

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed May 2 07:16:14 PDT 2007

Geoff Galitz wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> During an HPC talk some years ago, I recall someone mentioned a tool
> which can copy large datasets across a cluster using a ring topology.
> Perhaps someone here knows of this tool?

There are a few, commercial, and open source.

On the commercial side is exludus, xcp, and maybe one or two others.
Exludus is basically a file pre-caching mechanism.  Java based.  xcp (by
  Scalable) is MPI based.  It does a pretty good job of moving data.  \

On the open source side, I havent seen things other than the udp
broadcast based tools (we had written one several years ago, named mcp),
but anyone using a cluster will tell you that udp broadcast can be very
detrimental to non-udp broadcast usage of the switch, say for logins,
NFS, command and control, ...)

> More to the point, we are pushing around datasets that are about
> 1Gbyte.  The datasets are pushed out to dozens of nodes all at once and
> we foresee saturating the I/O system on our cluster as we grow.  We are
> limited to using just the available disks and are looking for a
> reasonable solution that can support this kind of simultaneous access.

xcp might help.

>  Currently we push the data out using rsync, but if I don't get any
> better ideas I may simply move to a pull system where the data is
> fetched by HTTP.  I can get better throttling that way, at least.

For a few dozen nodes, this might work.

Joe