[Beowulf] 1.2 us IB latency?

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Mar 28 00:05:35 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Mark Hahn wrote:
> >> a dramatic breakthrough: 1.2 us, 25M msg/s.  since we just happend to
> >>
> >> or is this an example of message aggregation?  heck, from the url
> >> above, it might even be counting intra-box messages.
> >
> > Nope, this is "normal" ping-pong for the new generation cards (connectx).
>
> so if I do this:
>
> start timer
> send(other,small-message)		recv(first,small-message)
> recv(other,small-message)		send(first,small-message)
> stop timer
>
> I'll actually see 2.4 us between the timer calls?  if I understand,
> aggregation would only help on a streaming test.  in fact, this kind
> of isolated RPC-like exchange is what I see most commonly.

Assuming you could time it with any accuracy, yes. I've seen ib_write_lat
figures of ~1.

> > Maybe a bit optimistic though, I'd expect closer to 1.5 in a back-to-back
> > config.
>
> so for a small switch (24pt, say), how many hops to the internal fabric,
> and they're, what, .2 us each?

Current switch chips are 24-port, so that means one hop (and yes, I think they
are around .2 us each).

> also, does back-to-back work well?  I can imagine some cases where
> putting two dual-port cards in each node and creating a mesh might
> work well.

That would require IB-to-IB routing on the hosts, I havn't heard of anyone
doing that (don't think it's even implemented today).

/Peter