[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 37, Issue 58

Håkon Bugge Hakon.Bugge at scali.com
Mon Mar 26 02:38:32 PDT 2007

Hi Christian,

At 01:19 24.03.2007, beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:
>I've yet to see a significant number of message-passing applications
>show that an RDMA offload engine, as opposed to any other messaging
>engine, is a stronger performance determinant.  That's probably
>because there are other equally important and desirable features
>implemented in other messaging engines.

I find this statement hard to justify from
available benchmark data. Looking at the LS-DYNA
neon_refined_revised submissions to
www.topcrunch.org, you can add one in favour of
RDMA ;-). Scali MPI Connect, utilizing SDR IB,
performs better than all comparable systems,
except for one case, where Infinipath is faster.
This is somewhat surprising to me, given the
latency and message rate advantage Infinipath has
compared to traditional IB. Therefore, let me use
this opportunity to stress that its not only the
interconnect architecture, but also the software
harnessing it (read MPI) that matters.

Would be nice though, to evaluate the combination
of Infinipath and Scali MPI Connect on this case.

Thanks, Håkon