[Beowulf] Performance characterising a HPC application

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 23 12:25:15 PDT 2007

> A non-intrusive test you could try is to replace your MPI (mpich) with a
> lower-latency one. Scali or MPI/Gamma are just to name two. These can lower
> your latency down to 15muS or so.

gamma is highly hardware dependent.  does scali really provide a latency
improvement independent of hardware?

> If this drastically ups your efficiency you know where your bottleneck is.

indeed.  but another alternative is to find a _SLOWER_ MPI implementation.
in fact, I wonder if there's a handy place in, say, mpich, to put a simple
usleep() for this purpose.  perhaps just enable tracing.

usleep as a tool for performance characterization!