[Beowulf] The recently solved Lie Group problem E8

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 09:03:00 PDT 2007

 > It made a lot of us very uncomfortable, but we left behind the day when
> > everyone could read everything for himself, sometime between Guttenburg
> and
> > Leibnitz's Monadology.
>
> We've never had it to leave behind.  Each of us attempts to disspell out
> own personal darkness, to peer out from Plato's cave, and make sense of
> the pattern of light and darkness cast upon its walls.  To borrow a bit
> from one of George Robert's lectures once again:-).
>
>    rgb

I meant, there once was a day when you could **read** everything for
yourself. There has never been a day when you could figure out everything
for yourself, agreed!

I think in say 1400 AD students at, say, University of Paris didn't really
major, partly beacuse they could just read the whole campus library. For a
long time instead of "I attended Medical School" it was just "I read Galen".
One book.

THAT day we've left behind.

Peter