[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 07:19:31 PDT 2007

I've spent too much time caring about no compiler but the C compiler, so
I've learned something. Apparently they've split compilers into front-ends
(which parse languages), middleware (that does some of the optimization that
isn't either language dependent or processor dependent) and a backend (which
generates the machine code for the target processor). I had always thought
of C as the target of the front end so I snickered at the acronym "Gnu
Compiler Collection", but really I wasn't paying attention.