[Beowulf] Weird problem with mpp-dyna

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 14 09:37:25 PDT 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Peter St. John wrote:

> I just want to mention (not being a sysadmin professionally, at all) that
> you could get exactly this result if something were assigning IP addresses
> sequentially, e.g.
> node1 = foo.bar.1
> node2 = foo.bar.2
> and something else had already assigned 13 to a public thing, say, a
> webserver that is not open on the port that MPI uses.
> I don't know nada about addressing a CPU within a multiprocessor machine,
> but if it has it's own IP address then it could choke this way.

On the same note, I'm always fond of looking for loose wires or bad
switches or dying hardware on a bizarrely inconsistent network
connection.  Does this only happen in MPI?  Or can you get oddities
using a network testing program e.g. netpipe (which will let you test
raw sockets, mpi, pvm in situ)?

   rgb