[Beowulf] network filesystem

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Mar 6 06:32:54 PST 2007

Hi,

Am 06.03.2007 um 14:00 schrieb Charlie Peck:

> On Mar 5, 2007, at 10:43 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:
>
>> So yes, NFS should be fine.  Just don't try and run Gaussian on
>> it. :-)
>
> Ok, I'll bite.  We're just starting to support Gaussian on a couple
> of small clusters (32 and 64 cores respectively) and we don't have
> a lot of experience with it.  It looks like there are 3 primary
> directories, the software root, the tmp dir, and the molecular
> system/output files.  Which subset of these shouldn't be accessed
> via NFS?

for Gaussian all scratch files can be in the local $TMPDIR on the
nodes - though the program itself is distributed via NFS for
convenience. Even for parallel runs with Linda. We copy necessary
files after the job back to the directory of the user, if s/he wishes
to access them. Only the default output is written directly to the
final location during execution time. Just don't set GAUSS_SCRDIR but
make a cd to the batch system supplied $TMPDIR before the program call.

Some hints you can find on the SGE list:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?
listName=users&msgNo=14600

-- Reuti