[Beowulf] Setting up NFS directory mount on client

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jun 22 17:26:43 PDT 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, A Lenzo wrote:

> I can't figure out how to do that. I edited the /etc/fstab file with the
> following line:
>
> mytestsrv:/ /home nfs4 auto,rw,nodev,sync,_netdev,proto=tcp,retry=10,rsiz
> e=32768,wsize=32768,hard,intr 0 0
>

> but then the files I want appear in:
> /home/home/barney

As I said, getting a good (not terribly expensive!) book on this would
be worth its weight in CDs.

Here are a few lines from the /etc/fstabs in my house.  uriel (suitably
defined in /etc/hosts) is my primary household server -- a small md RAID
5 array.  Note that the home directory is on its own PARTITION on uriel
-- it is a Very Good Idea to put a shared home directory (or an unshared
home directory) onto its own partition, as that makes doing a full
reinstall of the operation system possible/easy.

SO, here's the relevant portion of uriel's fstab:

rgb at lilith|B:1018>uriel cat /etc/fstab
/dev/md0 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/md1 /var/www/html ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/md2 /home ext3 defaults 1 1

Here are its /etc/exports:

rgb at lilith|B:1019>uriel cat /etc/exports
#  /etc/exports
#  A list of filesystems or directories to export matched with hosts
#  with permission to mount
/home   *.rgb.private.net(rw,no_root_squash,sync)
/var/www/html   *.rgb.private.net(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

Here is the NFS part of /etc/fstab on serpent, one of uriel's clients:

rgb at lilith|B:1020>serpent cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
LABEL=SWAP-hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
uriel:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0
uriel:/var/www/html /var/www/html nfs defaults 0 0

(Sorry, the tabs are all collapsed so it isn't as pretty as it is in the
real thing, where the fields line up).  The home directory looks like:

rgb at lilith|B:1021>serpent dir /home
patrick sam william rgb sfi wrankin jsquyres lost+found  Music

(where I put our household music collection on this as well so I can
listen from any machine in the house).  All of these are user accounts.
Any of these people (sons, wives, a couple of colleagues) can log in to
some or all of my home systems and have "their" home directories.

HTH,

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu