[Beowulf] MPI performance gain with jumbo frames

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Wed Jun 13 09:40:17 PDT 2007

Doug and Jeff have good points (and some good links).  On thing to
also pay attention to is the CPU utilization during the bandwidth and
application testing.  We found that on our cluster (various Dells
with built in GigE NICs) while we did not see huge differences in
effective bandwidth, the CPU overhead was notably less when using
Jumbo Frames.

Again, YMMV.

Good luck,

-bill