[Beowulf] network transfer issue to disk, old versus new hardware

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jun 5 07:03:38 PDT 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, David Mathog wrote:

> Athcool does cut the idle temperatures of the nodes considerably,
> but apparently also prevents them from performing this sort of
> transfer at full speed, whether or not buffer is used.

Well, near the top of the athcool website there is a warning and one
the listed items is 'a slowdown in harddisk performance' - so nothing
new here ;-)

> Which is interesting because it didn't have any measurable effect on
> CPU bound processes.  I had thought it would shut itself off and get
> out of the way when the CPU rate was high, but apparently not.

CPU bound and I/O bound processes use the processor in different
ways... When doing only I/O, the processor is often waiting for the
hardware, so the load on the processor is low.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868