[Beowulf] failure rates

enver ever enverever at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 30 07:28:43 PST 2007

Hello there

I am a PhD student working on mathematical looking to the availability of
Beowulf  clusters.

I was looking whether or not it is possible to take exponential failure
rates fot the nodes.

Thats the case in these publications:

1- "A Realistic Evaluation of Consistency Algorithms for Replicated
Files"Annual Simulation Symposium  archive Proceedings of the 21st annual
symposium on Simulation table of contents Tampa, Florida, United States
Pages: 121 - 130   Year of Publication: 1988  ISBN:0-8186-0845-5

2-"Availability Modeling and Analysis on High Performance ClusterComputing
Systems"Availability, Reliability and Security, 2006. ARES 2006. The First
International Conference on Publication Date: 20-22 April 2006

3-"A Failure Predictive and Policy-Based High Availability Strategy for
Linux High Performance Computing Cluster" Chokchai Leangsuksun1, Tong Liu1,
Tirumala Rao1, Stephen L. Scott2, and Richard Libby Linux.com | LCI 5th
International Linux Cluster Conference.

I think it can be taken as exponentially distributed since in many
multi-server systems this was the approach followed.

I would appreciate if you could add any comments

Many Regards