[Beowulf] middleware for heterogeneous cluster

Miguel Óscar Bernabeu i Llinares mbernabeu at dsic.upv.es
Tue Jan 23 07:30:28 PST 2007

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, so let me introduce myself: I work as a researcher
in the Technical University of Valencia (Spain). I've been using Beowulf
Clusters for several years, but I've got little experience in the
installation and administration of them.

We are planning to integrate some legacy hardware (Pentium IV and Xeon
two-processors) with brand new hardware (Itanium II Montecito SMP
boards) in order to build an heterogeneous cluster.

I'm interested in using a middleware like Warewulf, Perceus, Oscar,
Rocks, ... to reduce installation and maintenance overhead, since we
must focus in research tasks. I've been reading some webs and papers
about how dealing with heterogeneity in Warewulf, Perceus and Oscar, but
none of them seem to be the best solution: Oscar forces me to use a ia64
master node
( http://www.mail-archive.com/oscar-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06075.html ), while Perceus is not properly documented AFAIK.

Does anybody successfully configured a cluster like this? Any
suggestion?

Regards.

--
Miquel Óscar Bernabeu i Llinares <mbernabeu at dsic.upv.es>
Department of Information Systems and Computation.