no 'commodity' OS is 'secure' Re: [Beowulf] Which distro for the cluster?

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Wed Jan 10 06:58:58 PST 2007

1. Any OS can be made more secure.
2. Good Security is "Security in depth."
3. The perfect is the enemy of the "good enough."

I would note that turbocharged piston engine aircraft are still in use
militarily, commercially, and recreationally. One of the reasons for the
fact that the C-130 is approaching an operational life of 50 years is
that it can do things that C-141's, C5's, and C-20's can't. The same is
true for linux and even (Ugh) windows.

The only secure computer is the one in the vault, with dedicated power
and its HD stored in a safe when not in use. This is not the most
practical approach for either a business or a research institution. So,
we design for security at the border, subnet, and host levels. We test
and audit. We monitor, we mirror data online and on tape. We do many
other things as well. This is one of the things that admins get paid for.

Now, if the question is "can I compromise one of the systems?", the
answer is yes. I've been using unix for more than 20 years and used
mainframes and minis before that. Some of the same methods used to gain
mainframe access will still work with a few modifications. But,.my
abilities do not inherently make these systems insecure.

Mike Davis