[Beowulf] Teraflop chip hints at the future

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Wed Feb 14 13:25:00 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 12:17:59PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:

> that's not the point, of course - even a small CPU on each dram chip would
> add up to a profoundly powerful system.  for instance, take a pretty mundane
> 2-socket, 16GB workstation today and notice it's got probably 128 separate
> dram chips.  imagine if each of those had even a small onchip processor

A few years ago, there was at least one academic research project
designing such CPU-in-RAM chips.  Basically, a RAM chip with a
smallish CPU in the corner.  I can't remember the name of the project
though!

I think they actually fabbed some of their chips, although I don't
recall for sure.  But, I do remember that they were strictly working
on SINGLE chips, one small CPU in one big RAM chip.  At least at the
time, they were not even considering how to link up many such chips to
form a larger, multi-CPU machine.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/