[Beowulf] Teraflop chip hints at the future

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Mon Feb 12 23:06:12 PST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:46:49AM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:

> isn't photonics still at the hand-waving stage?  I was just noticing how 10G
> XFP's have not gotten much cheaper over the past couple years.

Yes, but there are several companies about to produce lower-cost
optical and active copper cables for IB. Since "4 wire" ethernet is
pretty similar to IB, presumably they'll see a price drop, too.

We were showing several of these technologies working at SC last
November.

Also note that 4 gig FC is the same data rate as DDR IB.

Now what the final costs will be, who knows?

-- greg