[Beowulf] S2466 permanent poweroff, round 2

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 6 18:33:52 PST 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, David Mathog wrote:

> The Tyan S2466N-4M motherboards bite once again.
>
> I suppose I could try a vanilla kernel next, but maybe there's some
> way to diagnose what state (S5, S0, whatever) the machine is going
> to on poweroff, and why?  The documentation for ACPI itself is
> humongous, and for the linux implementations essentially absent,
> so I don't know what tool to run to find or modify this info.
> Interestingly /proc/acpi/sleep is missing on Mandriva 2007, but that
> doesn't seem to hurt anything on the working machine, so maybe that's
> (yet another) change in the ACPI interface?

Basically, good luck.  This is why we left our 2466N's running RH 7.3
basically "forever".  They were so damn touchy and difficult to get
running so that they actually were stable and so that the buttons worked
and so on that once we finally got there, I'd have taken a hammer to the
head of anybody that tried to change them.

Besides, they worked.  Quite well and all the time.  They were isolated
so kernel security wasn't a major issue, so why change?  Just put back
the old OS image.  Or is there some specific thing that you need to do
that you can't on the old kernels?

    rgb