[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 00:57:34 PST 2007

Jim Lux wrote:
<snip>
> (If I go with the FiOS offering though, that may prompt
> some re-evaluation)
Why? Only a third of the bandwidth of fast ethernet at peak speeds
(which you aren't going to see). Hell, an rtl8139 could handle that.

> Likewise, a small business with half a dozen or a dozen desktops and a
> couple servers isn't going to see a huge benefit from faster networking,
> because they're throttled by the server's disk speed, more than anything
> else. (assuming they're not hosting a big website, etc.)
More likely throttled by the operators.

> So, you're looking at GigE making a difference in two areas:  replacing
> cable TV (all those 20 Mbps HDTV streams) and in big companies.  But
> even in big companies, GigE to the desktop doesn't necessarily buy you
> much, if you're all competing for the same server resources.
Certain areas, such as digital video content development, are much more
accessible with high speed interconnect going commodity. However, very
few companies have the concentrated, high volume databases which would
really tax a network.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs