[Beowulf] failure rates

Bruno Rocha Coutinho coutinho at dcc.ufmg.br
Thu Feb 1 12:09:26 PST 2007

Most fault-tolerance literature assume that system components have
exponential failure rates.

But software sometimes don't have exponential failure rates if the cause
of the failure is related to a timer, a overflow or resource leaks. In
this case failure rate could be fixed and you end with all process
failing at the same time.

I think that is safe to assume exponential failure rates for hardware
and in spite of most machine crashes today are OS (not hardware)
related, most people assume that OSs are well behaved and don't suffer
of fixed rate failures.