[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:25:12 PST 2007

Moore's Law (which has grown in scope since Moore) applies to the aggregate
effect of many technologies. Individual techs proceed in fits and starts.
Predictions about FLOPS/dollar seem to be sustainable, but e.g. I predict a
jump in chip density when the price point of vapor deposition manufactured
diamond gets low enough (diamond conducts heat way better than silicon, and
chips are suffering from thermodynamics limits).

When AT&T divested, you could not get a decent telephone anymore; they were
too expensive to make so well. Then after years of crummy phones, suddenly
everyone had a cell-phone just like Captain Kirk's.

Sure I want fiber optics to my house. But maybe the power company will carry
data on the wasted bandwidth of power lines. Keep the faith :-)

Peter