[Beowulf] Using Autoparallel compilers or Multi-Threaded librarieswith MPI

Eray Ozkural examachine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 02:10:54 PST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 7:35 PM, Tom Elken <tom.elken at qlogic.com> wrote:
> Results of the VERY non-scientific survey:
>
> # reporting use of Autoparallel features with MPI:          0
>
> # reporting use of multi-threaded math libraries with MPI:  1
>
> The '1' was using multithreaded BLAS and MPI on HPL (a benchmark, not an
> application) and his recollection was that it was not a win over pure
> MPI.
>
> I'll let you know later when we've resolved the discussion in the HPG
> committee on how this might affect SPEC MPI2007.

Well, then, is there really such a thing that extracts threads from those
horrible C codes and generates MPI code? Not that I believe it is impossible
(since I work for a company that does a similar thing) but I would like to know
which autoparallel MPI code the posters had in mind. Is there a market for
that kind of a compiler?

Best,

--
Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara