[Beowulf] large array to run

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Dec 13 18:35:37 PST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Peter Skomoroch wrote:

> This reminds me of a similar issue I had.  What approaches do you take for
> large dense matrix multiplication in MPI, when the matrices are too large to
> fit into cluster memory?  If I hack up something to cache intermediate
> results to disk, the IO seems to drag everything to a halt and I'm looking
> for a better solution.  I'd like to use some libraries like PETSc, but how
> would you work around memory limitations like this (short of building a
> bigger cluster)?

You can build a cluster differently, maybe -- designing a bunch of nodes
that basically just form a memory-network-memory cache.  Spending more
money on memory and network, less on CPU.  But if you have a fundamental
limitation of less aggregate memory than the size of your matrix, you
pretty much have to store it somewhere, the only question is where and
how fast the store is and how much it costs to build it.

    rgb

--
Robert G. Brown
Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305