[Beowulf] multi-threading vs. MPI

Toon Knapen toon.knapen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 11:37:27 PST 2007

Geoff Jacobs wrote:

> If an application is going to be using only shared memory, I have no
> doubt the consensus here is to use native threads or OpenMP. If the
> application is going to be working over a network, MPI (or PVM) is the
> way to go.

If threads are better for SMP, but what about Numa like SGI Altix or HP
Integrity ? On the latter for instance, inter-cell (cell = 1 board with
4 cpu's) memory access suffers 200 times higher latency compared to
intra-cell memory-access.

But also the AMD (and future Intel) processors are Numa. With threads
you have no idea about referencing remote memory but is that a good thing?

And considering that future processors are even going more extreme in
the Numa direction (e.g. the Intel 80-core), is'nt it more future-safe
to go with MPI if one would start a large coding-project now?

thanks for all the reactions,

toon