[Beowulf] NFS Read Errors

Michael H. Frese Michael.Frese at NumerEx.com
Wed Dec 5 08:55:50 PST 2007

This tale is at an end, I think, because I can't bear to tell it much
longer.  As many have suggested, there is probably a hardware
problem, and since the hardware is old, I will do without the
services of the troublesome machines -- It turns out that there is
another acting up as well -- till they are replaced in a couple of weeks.

Many thanks to all who racked their brains for helpful suggestions.

I want to tell a little more of what I have learned, before I drop
the subject altogether.

First, I did swap the cable of the bad machine with that of a good
one with no effect on either machine.  This eliminates the
possibility of the cable or the switch port being bad.  Since I had
previously changed out the NIC and the switch, the only possibilty is
something inside the machine itself, probably the motherboard, but
possibly a corrupted kernel module for handling udp -- more on that below.

Second, we could find no sign of this failure in any log.  Nor did
/proc/net/dev show any errors.  The suggestion is that older kernels
aren't going to detect and report such errors.  I think that's
because they do nfs over udp.  More about that in a moment.

Third, though netcat isn't on these systems, nc is.  We didn't get
around to trying it, because we found ttcp.

Fourth, with ttcp over tcp, I found that the troubled machine could
send 800 MB in about 20 seconds -- the wire speed for those 32-bit
PCI slots as tested by netpipe.  However, if I used ttcp over udp, I
couldn't reliably send even ten 8192-byte blocks!  Successive sends
and receives would receive 3, or 1, or 5 blocks.  Don't ask me how
these two facts are compatible.  I don't know.

Clearly, this puts a premium on using tcp for nfs.  All our attempts
to do that failed.  Well, both of them, anyway.  In the first one, we
unmounted the offending disk, modified its fstab entry, and remounted
it.  We were pretty careful in the second one, where we added tcp to
the fstab argument, unmounted all the remote disks, restarted all the
nfsd's, and did 'mount -a'.  We got an error message in both cases
that didn't obviously refer to the tcp argument, but the mount didn't
happen.  As I write this, I see references to tcp mount requests in
the mountd man page, so maybe we need to do a bit more here.

The Wikipedia article on nfs says this:  "At the time of introduction
of Version 3, vendor support for TCP as a transport-layer protocol
began increasing. While several vendors had already added support for
NFS Version 2 with TCP as a transport, Sun Microsystems added support
for TCP as a transport for NFS at the same time it added support for
Version 3."

I'd like to know what version of nfs this server supports, but the
man page on nfsd doesn't say.  The man page on rpc.mountd says that
it supports nfs version 2 and version 3, but that "If the NFS kernel
module was compiled without support for NFSv3, rpc.mountd must be
invoked with the option --no-nfs-version 3."  Yet the
/proc/procnum/cmdline for the running rpc.mountd doesn't show a
--no-nfs-version argument.  Clearly, both the kernel and the server
need to support the use of tcp.

I'd like to get any of our other machines with these older kernels at
other sites to using tcp for nfs where possible, in order to avoid
this in the future.  We are already seeing signs of network problems
on them.  If that's not possible, then in order to avoid a complete
rebuild of those systems -- there are 12 of them -- we are going to
put a testing script together using remote invocations of md5sum and
comparison of results to recorded local results.

Thanks again!

Mike