[Beowulf] Using Autoparallel compilers or Multi-Threaded libraries with MPI

Eray Ozkural examachine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 06:18:35 PST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 2:53 PM, Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, richard.walsh at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > impossibility.  I am still waiting to get a straight flush in 5-card
> > draw.
>
> Are ye, now... interesting.
>
> Sometime we'll have to wait together.  In the meantime, I find that if
> you play the game with a wild card or eight it alters the odds
> magnificently.  Why, you can get a straight flush and still lose the
> game...;-)

I think for many types of code pure MPI code would be much easier to
develop, granted, but an auto parallel compiler can choose to use
either type  (for certain types of codes where the compiler would work
at all). Am I speaking the obvious? Where it suits, the multithreaded
code can be much faster than MPI code as it can avoid copying large
messages. Depends very much on what type of communication there is in
the algorithm. Maybe Greg is right for the majority of X kind of code,
I wouldn't have a problem with that statement, but in general I'm
quite doubtful that there can be no performance gains.

Best,

--
Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunct: http://myspace.com/malfunct