[Beowulf] Configuration change monitoring

Walid walid.shaari at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:11:00 PDT 2007

Hi Tim,

On 8/30/07, Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> We use cfengine.  But it's not agentless.  Think about it.  How can
> you possibly have an agentless program to do what you want to do?

We are not against agents as a rule, but what we would like to do is to use
the current tools, and utilities available. for example to use sar data, and
ganglia other than having another agent duplicating the functionalities of
these. it could be through login as a monitoring user if needed or even it
was an agent it builds on what is currently available. in the case of
cfengine our team member responsible for developing a tool that handles such
tasks tried to evaluate it and  he ruled against it we have a relatively
high turnover   in our  organization (members of the team move now and then
in assignments, or to other departments, or just leave the company for
better offers), as a result most of the team that manages the system are
junior admins, and the problem with cfengine it does require a steep
learning curve, may be i need to revisit it or one of its alternatives.

regards

Walid