[Beowulf] diskless booting over jumbo frames

Amrik Singh asingh at ideeinc.com
Wed Apr 25 09:49:43 PDT 2007

I am sorry for not making things more clear. scp was faster then NFS
only when NFS server was being hammered by the client nodes. This
happens only when number of client nodes increase above a certain
number. In my test I was reading files (1-2 MB) from an NFS server from
180 nodes. All the nodes were reading different files from different
folders and there was no caching. There was a huge io wait time on the
server CPUs.

The setup is like this:

Server exports /data
Clients mount /data and read files from /data/node1, /data/node2 and so on.

While the server is busy, if I try to do

node1:/tmp# scp largefile1 server:/data/node1
node1:/tmp# cp largefile2 /data/node1

Now in this situation scp is faster then the cp. This lead me to believe
that NFS is the bottleneck when it hammered by requests from too many nodes.

Amrik