[Beowulf] scheduler policy design

Toon Knapen toon.knapen at fft.be
Wed Apr 25 00:42:56 PDT 2007

Bill Bryce wrote:

> 2) use the LSF resource reservation mechanism.  This is more complex but
> essentially you can boil it down to the idea that you tell LSF to 'bump
> up the resource usage' on a resource, making it look like more I/O is
> consumed than really is consumed for a given period of time and apply a
> decay function so that the 'artificial bump in I/O' decreases over
> time.....

Interesting. However this approach requires that the IO profile of the
application is known. Additionally it requires the users of the
application (which are generally not IT guys) to know and understand
this info and pass it on to the scheduler when they launch their app.
In your experience, do you manage to convince real-life users to provide
this info?