[Beowulf] scheduler policy design

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Apr 20 00:10:09 PDT 2007

Toon Knapen wrote:

> Additionally, in the case above, for optimising the efficiency of the
> node, I might prefer to launch just 1 process which uses 4 threads to
> perform multi-threaded (BLAS) calculations.

We help out customers deal with problems like that, and the above
example on serial jobs.
The answer to this one would be to create a parallel queue with just one
job slot, and prevent any other jobs from running on the node. The
parallel job then gets the full resources of the node, and can run the
multi-threaded calculations you want.
If you don't want jobs to be allocated that way, we have a 'multiway'
queue for running several jobs per host.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer