[Beowulf] Re: Linux laptops, and M$ advertisement

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Apr 17 14:40:14 PDT 2007

Jim Lux wrote:
> At 10:39 AM 4/17/2007, David Mathog wrote:
> Friend builds barn. different
> Inspector comes out to give cert of occupancy, makes EXACTLY THE SAME
> MEASUREMENT, and says, well.. you need an emergency water storage
system...

> Difference in code interpretation..

Well, maybe (see below).  In any case, this is why it's necessary to
get all of the inspector's rulings in writing, so that you
have something to fall back on (or to threaten lawsuit with)
should the next inspector disagree with the first.

The Buddhist nature of the electrical code is becoming more and more
clear to me.  See for instance this section from the Wikipedia article
on koans:

A related kōan in the Book of Serenity reinforces the teaching that
Zhaozhou's response does not refer to affirmation or negation:

One time a monk asked Zhaozhou, "Does a dog have Buddha-nature or not?"
    Zhaozhou answered, "No."
Another time, a monk asked Zhaozhou, "Does a dog have Buddha-nature or not?"
    Zhaozhou answered, "Yes."

Sound familiar?

Speaking of karma, one of my printers went off line the other day
with this message on the display:

  PHD Life Over
  Replace PHD

Much to my relief, it turned out that "PHD" stood for "print head".

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu