[Beowulf] Linux laptops, and M$ advertisement

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:19:41 PDT 2007

Andrew,
Thanks, yeah, people seem to be "voting" for Thinkpads.

But, is it 8-year-old SON proof? :-)

Since besides RGB, IBM is the **other** 600-lb Gorilla of Linux Advocacy
(installing on a wristwatch, booting 1k instances thru VMWare on a 390,
etc), it saddens me that Thinkpads only come in a choice of M$ XP Home, M$
XP Pro, M$ Vista Home, etc. I thought that the deal of HD manufacturers
being contractually obliged to install M$, on the grounds that every
customer must be presumed to **intend** installing M$ but may be conspiring
to subvert licensing, had gone away? Evidently not. You'd think if anyone
could resist that it would be IBM.

Peter

P.S. with all due respect to Torvalds, I wish I could type "Open Source
Flavors of Unix" but it's just too long a sentence fragment. And I doubt
"OSFU" will catch on. Maybe GnuFU could? My White-Eyebrow Style GnuFU
defeats your Looming Borg Style!!