[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 04:24:45 PDT 2007

On 16 Apr 2007, at 12:24 pm, Mike Davis wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Debian is a possibility. I know that my friends in the UK and
> throughout Europe like it.

Debian's what we use on our 1,500 CPU cluster.  I'm biassed, since
I'm a Debian Developer, but we found a lot of things easier to get
working on Debian than on some other distros (multipath SAN, for
example).

It also has some advantages if you have a mixed architecture cluster
(like ours, which has X86, X86_64 and IA64 nodes), since Debian keep
their architectures synchronised, so the version of a package is
always the same on the various architectures.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter much - any decent distro
can be made to work.

Tim