[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Apr 15 10:14:41 PDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 "Robert G. Brown" <rgb at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> > And re. the future version of Scientific Linux, there has been
> > debate on the list re. co-operating with CENTos and essentially
> > using CENTos as a base, and SL being an overlay of specific
> > application and library RPMs. Pros and cons either way there.
>
> The point is that this really won't matter.  IF the packages are set
> up for RPM builds correctly, they can and will and are going into FC
> extras, from whence they will go "anywhere".  FC (following Debian, to
> some extent) is well on its way to being a universal distribution with
> "all" packages instantly buildable on it.

Here, here!  :-)

This is a minor detail but I'd like to point out that the Fedora
Core/Extras distinction ends with a merger when F7 is released.

If anyone is interested in helping out with (or even just curious
about) the Fedora packaging process then please see:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers

which includes a SIG for Scientific and Technical packaging:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/SciTech

Help [in the form of new packagers, new packages, package reviews, bug
reports, etc...] is always welcome.  Even as the list of Fedora packages
grows it is still remarkably small compared to the universe of freely
re-distributable (and thus eligible) software.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/