[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 2 13:48:46 PDT 2007

At 11:01 AM 4/2/2007, Douglas Eadline wrote:

>Because I believe, "the art of Beowulf" has a rich history of development
>that is based on the original definition from "How to Build a Beowulf" by
>Thomas Sterling, John Salmon, Donald J. Becker and Daniel F. Savarese:
>
>  ".. a collection of personal computers interconnected
>   by widely available networking technology running anyone of several
>   open source Unix-like operating systems. "
>
>I would not want to see it usurped by other clustering efforts.
>I believe that if we do not protect against revisionist history, then
>all of a sudden WCCS is now "Beowulf" computing. Such things, in my
>opinion dis-honor all the people (who I respect) that have contributed
>to this community. To me it is almost akin to removing author credit
>in open source software.

I concede that I was incorrect in my contention about Beowulf being
just commodity, and not necessarily opensource.  I beg forgiveness
for a moment of misremembering (my copy of Sterling, et.al., is at
home on my bedside table).  Mistakes were made, can't we all just
along, etc.etc.etc.

{I do, however, retain the inclination to play devil's advocate on
occasion, just because a good discussion helps crystallize the answers...}

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075