[Beowulf] OT? GPU accelerators for finite difference time domain

Richard Walsh rbw at ahpcrc.org
Mon Apr 2 07:10:15 PDT 2007

Gerry Creager wrote:

> Richard Walsh wrote:
>>> my point is that there's native and there's native.  if the HW supports
>>> doubles, but they take 8x as long, then there's still a huge reason to
>>> make sure the program uses only low-precision.  and 8x (WAG, of course)
>>> may actually be enough so that a 4-core, full-rate SSE CPU to beats it
>> I would be surprised if they "faked" double precision is this way.  GPUs
>> are the widest thing
>> you can get in a processor.  My WAG is that they will provide true/fast
>> 64-bit (minus the same
>> IEEE 754 twiddles) by coalescing 32-bit ... reducing the floating point
>> width of a given
>> core by half, but still delivery lots of FLOPs.  Especially with the
>> G80, it makes to think of these
>> GPUs and multi-core SIMD processors.
>
> In discussions w/ Mike McCool of PeakStream at SC06, I think Mark is
> correct.  At this time, I believe they're stiull faking DP.  Look for
> hardware enhancements 3-4Q this calendar year.
Sorry ... Did not mean to suggest that true 64-bit was available in
hardware from
anyone >>today<<, only that when it comes (later this year) it will not
be "faked".
The graphics folks need it for better dynamic range in contrast and
brightness I
think.

rbw

Richard B. Walsh

Project Manager
Network Computing Services, Inc.
Army High Performance Computing Research Center (AHPCRC)
rbw at ahpcrc.org  |  612.337.3467

>  "Making predictions is hard, especially about the future."
>
>   Nils Bohr

This message (including any attachments) may contain proprietary or
privileged information, the use and disclosure of which is legally
restricted.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by reply message, do not otherwise distribute it, and delete
this message, with all of its contents, from your files.