[Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86)

Loic Tortay tortay at cc.in2p3.fr
Fri Sep 15 02:49:53 PDT 2006

According to Patrick Geoffray:
> Greg Lindahl wrote:
> >> If, however, you are considering something faster than gigabit
> >> Ethernet, bear in mind that GPFS only can use TCP (as far as I know).
> >
> > The July 2006 presentation posted to the list about the same time as
> > your email says they're adding IB protocols in the future. I thought
> > that GPFS used to support GM directly?
>
> Never did, AFAIK. For a while, I though it used UDP, but I was mistaken.

According to the documentation, GPFS supports GM directly.

GPFS requires TCP so GPFS on Myrinet is probably not as efficient as it
could theoretically be.

The GPFS documentation is available online, see for instance the
"Planning and Installation Guide" in which Myrinet is mentionned a few
times:
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clresctr/vxrx/index.jsp?topic=
/com.ibm.cluster.gpfs.doc/gpfs31/bl1ins1146.html>.

Loïc.
--
| Loïc Tortay <tortay at cc.in2p3.fr> -     IN2P3 Computing Centre     |