[Beowulf] Re: blackbox on Mars?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Oct 20 07:43:34 PDT 2006

Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Has anyone remarked on the absurdity of sending a cluster to the surface
> of Mars under any cirmcumstances?  What in the world would it do that
> couldn't be done far cheaper back on earth, or in orbit?  There are damn

I am not sure even "in-orbit" would be needed in most cases.  The
(economic) cost to lift stuff per kg is quite high, and clusters are not
known to be the most efficient use of mass with lots of replicated parts
...  A really high bandwidth link, or some really fast accelerated
computing boards might be more appropriate, though the increased
radiation environment might make such things harder to protect.

Of course once we learn how to control self-assembly lines, we could
have clusters build themselves ...

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615