[Beowulf] non-proprietary IPMI card?

Anand Babu ab at gnu.org.in
Thu Nov 30 09:20:09 PST 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 07:12:13AM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
,----
| Bill Broadley wrote:
| >

| >Does anyone know if IPMI can "share" a GigE port?  Or does it
| >usually require a dedicated port on the host?
| Yes, definitely.
| The Supermicro IPMI cards can share the eth0 port with the main
| gigabit channel. The cards are powered up and on the network
| whenever power is applied to the chassis. There is a bridge
| somewhere on the motherboard which bridges between eth0 and the IPMI
| interface.
`----
Additional Info:
IPMI BMC doesn't require a NIC of its own. It just hooks to the
onboard NIC and looks out for IPMI packets on UDP ports. Most
implementations I have seen typically use on-board eth1 interface.
IPMI and BMC can share the same IP address.

There are also extended management cards that add proprietary KVM and
web interface in addition to IPMI. Those cards will require separate
NIC.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31