[Beowulf] non-proprietary IPMI card?

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Nov 26 16:25:12 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Mark Hahn wrote:

> has anyone ever seen a PCI add-in card that offered IPMI-like functions?

Such a card would need to be powered from the PCI/PCI-E bus even when
the power is (soft-)off. I'm not sure that the bus offers the amount
of power needed for the functionality.

> it could be plugged into the MB reset and power switches (interpose)

I looked at making something like this without a special card (due to
lack of physical space in the computer - a SFF) using a serial/USB
attached microcontroller which could switch some relays; the device
was available from German electronics shop Conrad for something like
50-60EUR for 16 relays and could be cascaded - I don't have details at
hand now, but I could look them up if there's enough interest. I have
made a test with one computer which worked, but I didn't follow
through as I would have had to do the rewiring for 80 nodes...

So, if this is the main functionality that you're after, such a device
could be more cost effective, provided that it's not you the one who
does all the cabling and connections.

> it could have a serial port on the cardedge to connect to
> bios/console serial redirection, if the bios supports that.

How many general purpose mainboards have you seen with console
redirection ? I didn't see any and in fact I sometimes still have
troubles getting console redirection from server grade mainboards to
function well.

> (would require per-MB configuration, of course, but for an optional
> feature, that's not crazy.)

Well, that would require data from the mainboard manufacturer for the
calibration of the sensors - same problem as lm_sensors has. Don't
know if a company making such boards would have more success...

> the real appeal is that you could stick one of these into a normal PC...

I dream of something like this for ever since I learnt the value of
reading temperature and fan data and with only this functionality it
could be useful also in a desktop PC (as our desktop PCs run 24/7, I
don't find remote power switching so interesting).

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868