[Beowulf] Question about amd64 architecture and floating pointoperations

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 24 10:42:12 PST 2006

Well it might be even worse, assuming you're toying in a higher level
language than assembly;
in that case the compiler might optimize your code to SIMD code in which
case you no longer have
80 bits long doubles, but 64 bits doubles, and 52 bits mantissa; which
exactly is the idea of SIMD.

80 bits really is not a very useful size at all (though i realize you can do
a few tricks with it which can give you up to 62 bits significance in 64
bits integers, but that's for a few exceptionnel nerds who try to get the
maximum out of something, which doesn't describe 99.99% of the programming
population).

Vincent