[Beowulf] onboard Gb lan: any opinion, suggestion or impression?

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Tue Nov 14 09:36:05 PST 2006

Of course it depends on what you want to do, but you can often get
more out of GigE than you think. Most of the drivers have some
tunable aspects that can help in certain cases.

You may find these links helpful:

http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/120/33/
http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/120/33/
http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/144/34/

In all of the above examples I used Intel GigE.
While the number of nodes were small the results
were pretty good.

 --
 Doug

> Hi all.
>
> Well, I've found some discussions within this list about brands of
> switches,
> and some about network card brands also.
>
> We came to a question here, in the cluster we are planning: how usefull
> are
> the, now so common, onboard gigabit networks (even dual networks) that are
> shipped in the motherboards? Great, bood, bad or terrible performance?
> stability issues? Much concern about it's use for clusters? Is there any
> example, or benchmark available of different onboard network chips in any
> (cluster?) application?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>
> Sincerally yours,
>
> Jones