[Beowulf] onboard Gb lan: any opinion, sugestion or impression?

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Tue Nov 14 07:21:26 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Jones de Andrade wrote:

> Well, I've found some discussions within this list about brands of switches,
> and some about network card brands also.
>
> We came to a question here, in the cluster we are planning: how usefull are
> the, now so common, onboard gigabit networks (even dual networks) that are
> shipped in the motherboards? Great, bood, bad or terrible performance?

Almost all of the on-board Gigabit Ethernet NICs are very good.  They
are integrated into the primary chipset
 - giving them good access to main memory and
 - reducing the opportunity for vendors to use the cheapest NIC chip.

You won't find advanced offload features, but you do get good, solid
non-quirky performance.

A secondary effect is that there are now very few NIC families, and those
vendors are motivated to support/control their drivers.  The network
device driver challenge of a decade ago, supporting hundreds of designs,
is all but gone.