[Beowulf] Thought that this might be of interest

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Nov 5 15:38:25 PST 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Impressive bandwidth.
>
> Is this the so called 'k8h' revision which has improved SSE2 throughput?

As far as I know the k8h is a quad core (found by googling).  SSE
throughput does appear to be better simply running a code that performed
less well on a 275, but the performance difference (17.6%) was IMO
indistinguishable from a clock speed delta (18.2%) to within the
measurement error ... that is, if SSE2 does in fact run faster, I have
not probed it yet.

Using the PGI and Intel compilers.  The latter appears to be doing its
old tricks: I get

> landman at jackrabbit:~/URS$ ./xxxxxx.woodcrest
>
> Fatal Error : This program was not built to run on the processor in your system.

Uh huh.

I took that string and googled it.
http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/28001  If I had time I would no-op that
test out and see how well it does.  The effort to do this is larger than
I care to do.  Well, if anyone has a quick set of strings to look for, I
really don't want to spend the time tracing the startup of the code....
  I can insert a few 0x90 by hand.

Its a shame as the late model Intel compilers generate reasonably good
code.  Since they wish to do it only for Intel processors, and the world
is decidedly mixed, this has implications on the use of Intel compilers
for lots of people wishing to get the best performance on all platforms
with a single compiler tool.  Doesn't it.

I thought they had fixed that in the 9.0 compilers.  Looks like I was wrong.

> Mind running a prime95 test at 1 core and then at 4 cores, and print the
> iteration time you can get,
> like you can find it here?
>
> http://www.mersenne.org/bench.htm

Will pull it down, and see if I can get it going in under 10 minutes.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com