[Beowulf] question about enforcement of scheduler use

Larry Felton Johnson larryj at gsu.edu
Wed May 24 10:36:02 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 10:18:45AM -0400, Matt Allen wrote:

> Larry,
>
> The prologue script only runs on the mother superior node, so it can
> only alter the other nodes in the job via (probably) ssh.  I think Dr.
> Weisz's script does this, although the version I've seen has "rsh"
> hard-coded.  I'd check to see that the prologue script is actually
> altering limits.conf on all of the nodes, since it looks like that could
> be why you're seeing connection failures.
>
> I think the way you're going about this is fine; we've tried the same
> thing here at IU.  In the end, we just didn't have that many problem
> users connecting directly to the compute nodes, so we abandoned the
> restriction enforcement.  Our problems have more to do with orphaned MPI
> processes hanging around on nodes, so we use a script to periodically
> clean out processes owned by users who shouldn't be on the node.

I want to thank all of you for answering this question.  Each of the
summarize how I've actually resolved  this since getting your replies
when I've finished working through the problem.  In the meantime I just
wanted to acknowledge your replies and thank you for the help.

Larry

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You
 get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

                              George Bernard Shaw