[Beowulf] noob understanding

philip phildlight at verizon.net
Fri May 19 15:59:19 PDT 2006

Thanks guys.  Your answers were exactly what I was looking for.  Micro$oft
would be the obvious and easy solution, but I'm very inclined to push the
linux route just for the satisfaction of knowing that I was one of the
people who took a traditionally windows project and used linux instead.

The other reasoning is as was mentioned, the processing power of linux over
windows seems more suited for this type of work anyway.  I also agree that
the opeteron route would make more sense.

As for max/autodesk, they're not for linux.  I know that much.  I'm more
interested in a method of deconstructing a max file into it's basic form of
being a state of geometry and settings, and then finding a linux engine that
can perform the rendering task, so that I could use something along the
lines of drqueue to simply submit the job to the cluster.

I've been playing with drqueue actually, and it's very promising.  I'm
pretty sure that someone has done this workflow.  Check out these guys:
http://www.respower.com/

You can register for free, and when you do, a unix box creates an account
for you (I'm thinking on their own in house network).  Then when you submit
a job, the submit form looks an aweful lot like drqueue or rush maybe.  And
it does support max/vray.  I don't think I can ask them directly if the farm
is using linux on the nodes, and I doubt it's a Beowulf if they are, but
this is where I want to be.

I may call respower and see how far into their brains they'll let me "pick"
to see if the nodes are linux.  What do you guys think?

Again, thanks a million for the replies.  BTW. I'm in Pittsburgh.